Can't erase fonts from Library

General discussion of the use of FontExpert font manager
Bluesman

Can't erase fonts from Library

Post by Bluesman »

Hi
I'm up to change one of my font collections "Helvetica Neue". Before starting this I deactivated all fonts in Font Expert. I searched the actual font and got about 40 hits... marked all and erase. Now 4 fonts is left that can't be erased???
ERROR message "Cannot delete file C:\Users\........" the url to the place in Font Experts folder where the fonts are stored?? I have restarted the pc... tryed again... but no. It's stuck.
What to do?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't erase fonts from Library

Post by admin »

Please use command Tools/Show Installed Fonts... and make sure the fonts are not installed (not in the list).
If the fonts are installed, uninstall them. Then restart the computer, and try to delete these font files from LIB folder.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi, thanks for rapid answer... Have already checked installed fonts... it's not in that list. I have restarted the pc. I have tried to erase from the LIB folder, get the message that I can't erase because the font's open by another software ????
Back to the beginning... :x
Right now all fonts in FontExpert are deactivated. I have no other software with the fonts running... ???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try to delete the font file from LIB using Windows Explorer before running FontExpert. I will investigate this, it is probably an issue.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

As you saw from my last reply... I have already tried to erase the font manually with file explorer from the LIB folder...
So... continous
But I did a temporary solution, not what I wanted but was forced. I installed my new "Helvetica Neue" collection. Then 4 fonts showed as doubles. The regarding fonts of cause, because it's the same fontcollection that I modefyed for better kerning etc. The doubles occured with the caracteristic (1) behind. Probably this was the new fonts, but I erased them and use the ones that can't be erased... we will see what happens with this issue.

Now It's a BIG issue for me. I have a font "Esperanto" that is not in use by any third part software or the Windows OS. Can't erase it... I must because it conflicts inside the fontfamily and I must correct and reinstall. Very important because I must use the font that doesn't appear correctly.
I will email the error message to support.
Gracias
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A font that was once permanantly installed (whether in LIB folder or in any other folder) becomes a shared resource, so the reason why the deletion of file fails is that some process in memory is using this font, even after restart of the computer. There are number of processes that may use fonts, like Windows Control Panel Fonts applet or a 3rd party applications that run after Windows startup and stay resident. When the error window appears (that the font file could not be deleted), there should be information about the process name which holds the font file. FontExpert does not determine the process name which holds the file, but some file managers (like Total Commander) usually provide this information. I confirm that FontExpert should provide a solution and this is an issue.

Added on March 15, 2019:
In version 15 and 16 we have provided a simple solution. To delete a font (or multiple fonts) from Library select fonts and choose Delete command (or press Del on keyboard). FontExpert will delete font(s) from Library and if some fonts are used by system, FontExpert will suggest to Restart Windows. After Windows is restarted, run FontExpert. FontExpert will finish deletion of font files. In most of cases, when you delete fonts that were not installed/uninstalled permanently in current Windows session, Restart will not be needed at all. If you only activated/deactivated fonts temporarily (the fonts you then decided to delete), Windows Restart will not be needed.