Groups folder function in FontExpert 2011

General discussion of the use of FontExpert font manager
fontcrazy

Groups folder function in FontExpert 2011

Post by fontcrazy »

I am exploring Groups in FontExpert 2011 and have discovered that a group folder is an actual folder on the hard drive and not a virtual folder for indexing fonts. My question is, if I want to make a folder for my favorite fonts, do I have to make a phyical copy of the font to place in the favorites folder? It seems that if I drag and drop from one folder to the new favorites folder, the font in the previous location is removed. I want to maintain my carefully organized fonts library, but have easy access to some favorites across the whole library without having to dig through the whole library to find them or simply be reminded of them when I have forgotten their names

What is the best work practice for making links to favorite fonts across a large group of folders? Does one usually do this with new group folders or with worklists?

Thanks for you help!
fontcrazy

Re: Groups folder function in FontExpert 2011

Post by fontcrazy »

Well looks like nobody is home on these lists.

Have discovered that an alt + drag/drop will put a shortcut into a new group folder. Ctrl + drag/drop will put a copy of the font in a new folder. If you just drag/drop you will actually move the font.

There will be a small icon as you drag/drop with either an arrow for the shortcut or a + for the copy so that you don't really have to remember the key (alt or ctrl).

Looks like this is the best way to have a "favorite" set up and ready without having to load a worklist or permanently move fonts out of a very carefully structured folder set.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are three ways to add fonts to groups - "copy", "move" and "link" (create shortcuts instead of real font in a group folder).
These options are available in the "Add to Group..." dialog window.
You are right, with drap and drop you can hold Ctrl key to copy, and hold Alt key to create shortcuts.

You can drag files as within Groups view, but also from the Folders & Main view to Groups view.

For example:
Choose one folder with fonts in the Folders view.
The fonts appear in the Main View.
Select fonts in the Main view, drag them and hold over the the "Groups" tab label to activate Groups view.
Groups view becomes active.
Continue dragging the files to any group yo see in the Groups view.
fontcrazy

Post by fontcrazy »

Thanks for the added tips!