Fonts groups using links

A place for requests and discussion of new FontExpert features
bblackmoor

Fonts groups using links

Post by bblackmoor »

Question: has FontExpert restored the ability to create font groups using shortcuts?

I still use FontExpert 2015, because 2016 removed the ability to create font groups using shortcuts. This feature is essential to me, because it allows me to keep all of my fonts automatically synchronized across my computers (as I describe here: http://www.proximasoftware.com/forum/vi ... ?f=1&t=380 ).

If FontExpert 2016 (or 2017?) has restored this feature, I will upgrade.
bblackmoor

Re: Fonts groups using links

Post by bblackmoor »

Anyone?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am afraid we do not plan to restore this feature (groups as local folders). In the following version Groups still will be "virtual" folders where fonts are links to corresponding fonts in Library. This approach automatically eliminates duplicates in Library and has another advantages. For synchronisation of Library and Groups between computers we are developing other features.
(Besides existing feature - Backup and Restore.)
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

Please reconsider: this feature is the reason I use FontExpert. I won't be upgrading FontExpert until this absolutely essential feature is restored.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

New version 16.0 being in development will include My Collections feature which will allow you to work with your master folders and quickly synchronize them with FontExpert database. We are very interested in you opinion about new version and this feature (after the release).
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

I synchronize my fonts and font groups between my computers, automatically, without requiring any manual synchronization. This is how.

First, I use Dropbox. I pay for it, so I have 1 TB file space -- more than enough for my fonts (which are about 900 MB). In DropBox, I have two folders:

Font_Groups
Font_Storage

FontExpert is set up to use those folders. My fonts and font groups are always kept in sync on my computers.

This is
1) Easy -- once it is set up, it requires no effort by me.
2) Simple -- it uses folders and shortcuts, which will still work even if I stop using FontExpert.
3) The fonts are always in sync.

I assume sure that you thought adding additional complexity to FontExpert was a good idea, but removing a simple feature that worked perfectly was a bad idea.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We keep in mind this use case.
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

Hello, again. A couple of years have passed, and I am wondering if FontExpert has restored the lost shortcut functionality. I would be happy to purchase the newest version, if it has.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FontExpert 2019 version 16
Each group is a logical folder with fonts that link to fonts in Library.
Please see this help topic ans screenshots with sample groups:
https://proximasoftware.com/fe/help/fonts.htm#groups

One font can be a member of many groups, but actually only one unique physical font file exists in Library, while the group elements link to the same physical font. Font link is similar to short cut, but this link works much more quickly than short cut as FontExpert uses database to access the font.
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

So that's a "no". Thank you for the prompt reply.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Using font links with database instead of OS short cuts in Groups is a deliberate decision.
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

My copy of FontExpert 2015 has stopped working, because it says the license server is unavailable.

Since Proxima has no desire or plans to ever support font groups as OS links again (which is why I am still using FontExpert 2015), would you consider making the source code available under a license such as Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike? That would ensure that no one will take your (old, no longer supported) code and create a competitor -- anything anyone creates with it would be required to also be "shared alike", in addition to preserving your own trade mark and copyright on the code. And of course you would have full access to any revisions, to use or not as you see fit.

Otherwise, I will have to find an alternative to FontExpert. I really like FontExpert, though, and I would be very happy if I were able to continue using it.

Please consider my request.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The license server is working.
Please use the link to request activation text for older versions:
https://proximasoftware.ru/activate
For the latest version:
https://proximasoftware.com/activate
Help topic:
https://proximasoftware.com/fe/help/activate.html
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FontExpert now supports Font Groups as virtual folders containng links to fonts in font Library.
So each font in a group is actually a reference to a font in Library.

Also you can work with physical folders using My Collections (similar to Groups in old versions).
bblackmoor

Post by bblackmoor »

That is a "no" on making the source available. I understand. Thank you for your prompt response. And thank you for FontExpert. I used it for years, and I am sincerely grateful for having had it.