SVG OTF Fonts no preview

A place to discuss any issues found in FontExpert, steps to reproduce, workaround or how to fix
bernd.kay

SVG OTF Fonts no preview

Post by bernd.kay »

Hi,

SVG OTF fonts are problematic, but really nice with all the extra texture.. so I am on the latest FontExpert 2019 version and have a couple of SVG fonts (like Avallon SVG.otf and SummerLovingSVG.otf) not showing, appear as white box.

AlmonteSVG-Regular.otf on the other hand is showing and has a preview.. [ but is crashing Indesign 2019 :-( ]

Its most likely a Win10 issue? (I am on Win 10 Enterprise 1903)

any ideas?
admin
Site Admin

Re: SVG OTF Fonts no preview

Post by admin »

I do not think it as issue of Windows 10, but it is probably a compatibility issue between SVG font, its format, and the software that uses the font. I do not have any of the fonts you mentioned, unfortunately, but I have found two SVG fonts (free for personal usage), Abelone and Playbox, both are OpenType/CFF fonts having SVG table. Both fonts are displayed in FontExpert as black and white preview (Windows 10 Pro 1809).
bernd.kay

Re: SVG OTF Fonts no preview

Post by bernd.kay »

Thanks for the answer. And I guess you are right. Some fonts are OK with previews but some don´t show. But these fonts also don´t show in the Win 10 Font-Preview (if you double click in the Windows Explorer)

I tried several combinations (Win 10, Win 7, FontExpert14, FontExpert19) but same result.

If I enable SummerLovingSVG.otf I can use it in Indesign/Illustrator, but still no previews. But the font is also in a "solid" none-svg version (with preview) available and I guess that was stuck in my memory.

Not sure how the development for SVG Otf fonts will continue, but I really like them.