Duplicate Font Search by Glyph, Rename PS Fonts

A place for requests and discussion of new FontExpert features
msleger

Duplicate Font Search by Glyph, Rename PS Fonts

Post by msleger »

Font Expert is by far the BEST font manager that I've found anywhere. I've been using it for a year now, and have had no problems. At this time, there are only two missing features that would improve my workflow:

1. Searching for duplicate fonts. Searching by facename is not accurate. There are often multiple fonts with the same name but are in fact different typefaces. Secondly, there are very often multiple fonts with different names but are the same typeface. It would be VERY useful if duplicates could be found based on glyphs. Fonts that aren't 100% identical should be reported. For example, maybe a font is 95% identical: same typeface, but some characters are slightly different.

2. When trying to change the filename of Adobe PostScript fonts, the fonts become corrupted and don't work anymore. A filename like "EU___.pfm" doesn't mean anything to me. I'd rather have a more-descriptive filename.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We keep in mind the suggestion 1 for the next version 9.

And about suggestion 2: FontExpert can rename PostScript fonts and "it seems it works". Try to rename PostScript font displayed the Groups view - choose "Rename Font Files..." menu command from context menu. FontExpert renames both PFM and PFB files, so the font remains valid. It is possible to install/uninstall renamed font. (Please try the latest version at this moment: ver 8.0 Release 4.)

Can you help us and give the steps (and the font?) when PostScript font become corrupted after renaming?