Fonts stop to work (after Windows 10 Creators Update)

General discussion of the use of FontExpert font manager
admin
Site Admin

Re: Fonts stop to work (after Windows 10 Creators Update)

Post by admin »

FontsReloader runs for a short time and exits. It does not remain in memory. To estimate the work time, just run it manually once after windows start up. It exits quickly.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi... thanks for explaining. If you excuse me... I can then skip this "fix" because for me it don't feals like a fix. For be sure you must check the font's every startup and restart or do this activation all the time... back to 17th century :roll: I really hope you can fix this in the software :) Even though it's Microsluts problem... maybe they release a update soon that fix this. Because many other fonthandling softwares has the same problem... soo should be in the pipeline. Maybee they already did? Because now I worked without trouble for 3 days again.
Saludos
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The real fix of system software components that are responsible for loading fonts on Windows startup must be created by Microsoft developers. Similar problem was with loading Type 1 fonts in Windows Vista and they have fixed it later.
Gonzha

Post by Gonzha »

The method used by FontsReloader did not help
:cry:
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Someone else... feels that it's more stabile now? Almost a week now without issues :) But I don't know if it depends on OS updates or that I have cleaned up (erased) some thousands tt-fonts??
stevecop

Post by stevecop »

I have found something of a solution to this problem which appears to have been caused by Microsoft. Whether they are working on a solution I don't know but this may be of interest.

I found a fair number of my fonts missing after the Creator update. The files seemed to be in place and when double clicked you could see a demonstration sheet OK, but documents using the fonts had blanks in them as did FontExpert.

After a lot of research I came across this in Microsoft Forums:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2966820393

The circumstances and effects are different but the solution is relevant. (Incidentally there are plenty of people complaining that, for example, their icons have no titles and Internet Explorer is blank after installation of Creator and I suspect all that is wrong is the fonts they have chosen have not installed due to this issue, not that the programs themselves have been compromised).

I investigated my registry as recommended and yes, the fonts that were faulty did indeed have very long registry entries, primarily because of the awfully complicated way that Font Export stores its library nested deep inside many folders.

My solution was to uninstall all the faulty fonts using Font Expert. I then made sure that the underlying files too were deleted from the Windows\Fonts directory. I copied all the difficult files to a single directory on my C drive which I called "problem fonts" and installed them by hand into the Windows\Fonts directory, therebly shortening the registry entry considerably. It has worked for almost all.

You have to restart your machine from a cold start to see if everything is OK because sometimes it is working until the machine closes down. I had a couple of fonts which were persistently failing after the machine was restarted and I found that sometimes there were two instances of the same font with different sources. Once both were forcibly deleted and only a single file was reinstalled all was OK. In another case (nothing more fancy than Rosewood) I had to try three times to get it to instal but following the same process has paid off.

The ultimate fix of course has to be that Microsoft sort out whatever mess they have created which resists the installation of long names. It would be a lot easier too if Font Explorer worked as it always used to, installing straight from your own font directory and allowing you to assign tags etc direct to the files without forcing you to use the obscure library system that has made the program for me a lot less simple to work with!!

Hope the tips help someone somewhere.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi stevecop, noticed to that when installing the problem fonts directly to Windows font folder they worked... but gets messy with a lot of fonts :)
I'm hoping that Windows comes with a solution in update. Only solution for me.
dirk

Post by dirk »

Hi, I had the same problems with the installed Fonts after updating to Win 10 Creators update, I have done different Things, like installing fonts new, reduce the amount of Fonts, checking font files, making new Groups and Folder structure, but all wasn’t really helpful. Some Fonts were always lost, sometimes the same fontstyles, sometimes different ones. Really erratic.

My actual Workaround is to delete the "fntcache.dat" file in the folder "windows/system32" and restart Windows. Windows generates a new fontcache file and all will work fine, until the next shutdown of windows. For me it’s the easiest work around at the Moment, and I’m waiting for an update solution.
Last edited by dirk on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Hi dirk, I'm also doing workarround. I'm just deactivating all fonts in FontExpert before closing Windows. Then activate when started up. Works for me until we get the expected update from either Proxima or Windows... but seams to take time... :roll:
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Time passes... other fonthandling softwares seams to fix this problem...?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We expect that this issue will be fixed with Windows 10 Fall Creative Update promised in October 2017.

Microsoft suggests the following fix:

Run Regedit utility.

1. In the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ GRE_Initialize

2. Create DWORD (32 bit) value.
Name of new record:
 DisableFontBootCache

3. Set value equal to 1.

4. Restart Windows 10.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Microsoft has fixed this issue, install Windows 10 Fall Creative Update.